In this episode, Author and Writing Coach Mandi Kontos shares how to create a writing practise that works for you, hone your craft and grow your confidence as a writer.
Plus, we talk tips to silence your inner critic, fuel your creative flow and how a spot of dabbling can do you good.
We also discuss some of our own personal struggles and Mandi opens up about how the death of her father has impacted her life and her work.
It’s a mix of practical and personal on the episode today and we hope both our honesty and heart will leave you feeling supported, inspired and ready to share your words with the world in your own, beautiful way.
Listen To The Episode
Language note: this episode is explicit and contains light swearing/cursing.
Or listen on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeartRADIO
Kindness makes the world go round, so if listening to Rock Your Goals has made your ears happy, I’d be so grateful if you’d consider taking approximately one-tenth of the time it takes to drink your morning latte (or lemon water) to leave a short review. Bonus brownie points for saying nice things! It’s easy peasy, promise: all you need to do is type a sentence or two on your favourite podcast player (and sit back to soak up the good vibes I’ll be sending your way as a thank you).
- Why not everyone will “get” what you’re doing (but it totally doesn’t matter)
- Building a safety circle around yourself and your creativity – what it is and why you need one
- How to lovingly protect your passion from the scrutiny of others (especially when you’re first starting out)
- Ready to write but the ideas just won’t come? We’ve got you covered
- How a change of scenery can help get your creativity flowing
- What a writing coach does and how they can help you establish a writing practice that serves you.
- I (Sarah) share my favourite tip to make writing about yourself easier (and exactly how I used it to craft press releases about my award win)
- Why looking after yourself is the key to your creativity
- How to deal with your inner critic and inner editor (when they just won’t shut up!)
- How a great editor can help you shape your work and grow your confidence as a writer
- Why putting your heart and soul on a page can be scary and how to move through the fear and do it anyway
- Why a spot of dabbling & play is a wonderful way to find your flow
- Doing things that scare you & how it can help you build character and expand your comfort zone
- Mandi shares how the loss of her father has shaped her writing, her business and her life
- We get really deep and talk about the challenges in life that shape us and shift our course, plus why sometimes the bravest thing you can do is ask for help
- And we talk about why sometimes we just need to get out of our own way, trust ourselves and go for it!
Resources We Mention
- Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden
- NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)
- Lisa Messenger
- Lisa Messenger Books
- Write or Die
- The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte
P.S. If you enjoyed this episode, wrap your ears around episode 8 where author Vanessa Carnevale shares her tips on becoming a better writer
+ Loving shout out to Ane Novak who created the wonderful tune “Happy Day” (the awesome intro & outro music to Rock Your Goals the podcast) which gets me grooving in my seat every time I hear it.