Today I’m talking with the gorgeous Jay Crisp Crow about all things copy.
Jay’s an incredible copywriter who writes premium copy for big brands and businesses, and teaches women how to write words that sell.
In this episode we explore how to write words that connect and convert, how to let people know they’re in just the right place when they land on your website, and how to be a brand ambassador for your own business.
Plus, if you’ve got a tendency to overthink, waaay over deliver or just plain hold yourself back, Jay shares a gem of a tip to help you get the words onto the page and then polish them to perfection. And, if writing your about page – or even just an email to your community – has you huddled up in the corner crying, never fear – Jay is here to dish her delicious wisdom on all things about pages and emails.
We also explore looking after yourself while running a business and Jay opens up about how she blends self-care and success while managing a chronic illness.
If you’ve ever thought you can’t write your own copy, and things like sales pages and emails scare the pants off you, this episode is for you! Jay shares so many practical, easy to implement tips that’ll have you crafting copy that connects and converts quicker than you can say Snickers. We hope you love it.
Listen To The Episode
Language note: this episode is explicit and contains light swearing/cursing.
Or listen on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeartRADIO
If listening to the Rock Your Goals Podcast has made your ears happy, please share it with a friend. Then sit back to soak up the good vibes I’ll be sending your way as a thank you.
- [2.15] Intros + building a business without having all of the boxes ticked, and why business will
nudge youshove you screaming towards personal development (whether you want to go there or not).
- [6.00] All about Jay and the magic she makes in the world.
- [8.32] Feel like you can’t start until you’ve got it all figured out? It’s time to stop waiting for the perfect time (or the next very official looking piece of paper) and give yourself permission to go for it.
- [9.39] How Jay started her business on a borrowed laptop + why you don’t need all of your ducks in a row to start your business either.
- [12.46] The power of writing great words + some of the juicy back story on just how Jay has built her six-figure business.
- [16:30] Want to write copy that connects and converts but you’re worried that “selling” is pushy, gross or just plain wrong? Do yourself a favour and listen to this bit.
- [23.20] Being your own biggest brand ambassador and why (true story!) you don’t have to be the best to be successful.
- [28.49] Businessing, brain picking and the importance of implementing (because all the great advice in the world won’t amount to anything if you don’t implement it).
- [35:40] Resourcing, finding your (Jay) crew (sorry, I couldn’t resist!!) and why it’s really smart to surround yourself with people who’ll tell it to you straight.
- [39:23] Jay talks about her chronic illness and the strategies she uses to support herself (hint, they include rock-solid boundaries and building in buffers). If you’re prone putting yourself at the bottom of your priorities list, please listen to this bit (preferably more than once!!).
- [44:39] Why Jay went from keeping her illness secret (even from her boss) to sharing about it on stage (and what that has to do with your business).
- [47.53] Reclaiming success, creating your own vision and doing it your way.
- [51.40] All about the about page – Jay breaks it down, love story style (hint, if you’ve ever wanted to cry or quit your business while trying to write your about page, you need to listen to this – I’m not even joking!!).
- [55.38] Over-thinker? Over-deliverer? Embrace the power of the vomit draft (seriously, this process is awesome and helped me (Sarah) write this packed full of goodness free challenge in less than 10 minutes).
- [57.04] Not sure how to start your about page? Jay knocks it out of the park with some epic tips about what to do (and what not to say) on your about page + shares the most powerful conversion word you can use in your copy.
- [59.11] The mindset blocks to amplifying your voice and feeling confident to share what you do.
- [1.01.18] Jay dishes the details on making email quick, easy and profitable.
- [1:04.27] The wrap up and how to connect with Jay.
Quotes From The Episode
Don’t start with the words, start with the person reading the words.
“Your about page is the most underrated conversion tool on your website.”
“You don’t have to sell, you just have to tell people how you can change their lives for the better.”
All of the great advice in the world won’t amount to anything if you don’t implement it.
Journaling Prompts To Ponder
What does the person reading your copy need to know so they can easily decide if what you’re offering is right for them?
If I felt successful, what would that look like & what would I do (or not do)?
How do I want people to feel when they connect with my business or brand?
Want more journaling prompts to play with? Check out Journal to Life here.
Resources We Mention
- Leonie Dawson
- Jay’s friend Lauren (who’s totally awesome and has also been on the podcast – listen to her episode here)
- Tarzan Kay
- Ed Dale
P.S. If you enjoyed this episode, wrap your ears around episode 11 where Kate Toon shares her tips on crafting clever copy (& talks about making SEO simple).
+ Virtual high fives to Zhanic whose awesome tune “Lift Me Up” is the intro & outro music for the Rock Your Goals Podcast. It puts a smile on my dial every time I hear it and I hope it gets you grooving in your chair too.