Jessica Anwyl is here to redefine beauty and how you see yourself so you can love the skin you’re in.
Through Jess’ experience with a rare skin condition and near-death illness she created In The Ra – an online home for healing with whole foods, and Ra Photography, which Jess describes as a blend of photography and art therapy.
In this episode Jess shares how Ra Photography came to life and how, at its heart, it’s a transformational photo shoot experience created to help you see yourself as beautiful.
We also talk openly about body image, breaking the shame cycle, and the power of listening to your body, and your intuition, no matter what kind of healing journey you’re on.
From our hearts to yours, we hope you enjoy the episode.
Listen To The Episode
Language note: this episode is explicit and contains light swearing/cursing.
Or listen on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeartRADIO
If listening to the Rock Your Goals Podcast has made your ears happy, please share it with a friend. Then sit back to soak up the good vibes I’ll be sending your way as a thank you.
- [1:39] All about Jess.
- [2:32] How a rare skin condition and near-death illness changed the course of Jess’ life and business and led her to create In The Ra.
- [10.49] How Ra Photography was born and how Jess uses photography to harness your vulnerability and transform it into your super power.
- [19:42] The process of a photo shoot with Jess – shedding the layers and moving from discomfort to your own creative genius.
- [25.05] I (Sarah) get deep about how we see ourselves and we talk about taking off the masks and stepping into self-acceptance.
- [34.55] Your happiness is not determined by the size of your thighs and other truth bombs. what we really need is nourishment
- [38.42] Nurturing the relationship we have with food and our bodies – Jess shares how her health challenges led to food allergies, fasting, significant weight loss and gain and how she learned to feel at home in her body.
- [42.05] Breaking the shame cycle, taking back your personal power and allowing yourself to receive.
- [48.33] Dropping the judgements and stereotypes and changing the lens through which we see ourselves.
- [53.47] How many times a day do you apologise for who you are? It’s time to take up space and take the compliment.
- [57.49] Celebrating the simple things, appreciating your own achievements, and going deeper with gratitude.
- [1.03.28] What happiness isn’t, and the clumsiness & messiness of the dance called life.
- [1:08:08] You’re not broken. The shifts that happened for Jess when she stopped trying to fix herself and started listening to her body and her intuition.
- [1:11:21] A message from Jess + how you can connect with her.
Quotes From The Episode
Love the skin you’re in
“It’s in our minds that the real change begins.”
“I am not my diagnosis. I am healing.”
What we really need is nourishment
Journaling Prompts To Ponder
- What is my next step?
- What’s going on here?
- What does my body need right now?
- What do I want right now?
Resources We Mention
- In The Ra Instagram account
- The Aligned Workshop I (Sarah) hosted with Rachael Kable
- Rock Your Goals
P.S. If you enjoyed this episode, you might also enjoy episode 82 where Ashley Stinson shares how you can start to listen to your body and let it guide you towards clarity and healing.
+ Virtual high fives to Zhanic whose awesome tune “Lift Me Up” is the intro & outro music for the Rock Your Goals Podcast. It puts a smile on my dial every time I hear it and I hope it gets you grooving in your chair too.