Today I’m talking with Bec McFarland from Pop Your Career. Bec’s a career coach who believes in making career advice fun.
If you’re not loving your day job, or people keep telling you how awesome you are and how amazing your work is but you just don’t see it, this episode is for you.
We dig deep into mindset and Bec shares her expert tips to help you overcome comparisonitis and imposter syndrome. Plus, we discuss the beauty of incremental change and how to own your goals and bring them to life your way.
We also talk about having a dream job, versus a job that facilitates your dreams, and why climbing the corporate ladder doesn’t have to be your goal. And if you’re hating your job, or you’ve forgotten what fulfilment feels like, Bec has some practical tips and techniques to help you.
This episode’s like you’re having dinner with Bec and I as we talk mindset, career fulfilment and dancing to your own groove. So pull up a chair and join us, lovely, we’re so happy you’re here.
Listen To The Episode
Language note: this episode is explicit and contains light swearing/cursing.
Or listen on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeartRADIO
Kindness makes the world go round, so if listening to Rock Your Goals has made your ears happy, I’d be so grateful if you’d consider taking approximately one-tenth of the time it takes to drink your morning latte (or lemon water) to leave a short review. Bonus brownie points for saying nice things! It’s easy peasy, promise: all you need to do is type a sentence or two on your favourite podcast player (and sit back to soak up the good vibes I’ll be sending your way as a thank you).
- [1:58] Intros
- [3:05] All about Bec
- [5.26] Ever heard yourself say, “I don’t know what I want to do”? We explore why it’s ok not to know, the beauty of following the breadcrumbs, and why your job doesn’t have to be your dream (but can still be totally fulfilling)
- [9:00] Embracing the unknown, letting go of expectations, worry and what other people think, and dancing to you own tune instead. Plus, Bec poses some BIG, juicy questions to ponder
- [12:12] We get real about the laptop lifestyle, keeping it practical when you’re ditching the day job for your dream biz and why the ‘inner work’ has to be part of your path to fulfilment (because you gotta get the inside right for the outside to feel awesome)
- [14:22] Fall back in love with your job before you throw in the towel + building a business while working a day job
- [16.16] Day job shame, why having a job while you build your business does NOT make you a failure, and I share my story of quitting my job too soon
- [22:17] Think you can’t coach, create or run a business because you don’t have your shit fully sorted? We did too. But your personal experience is one of your biggest assets + it’s time to trade being hard on yourself for owning your wins and celebrating your own awesomeness
- [26:26] The golden nuggets of wisdom you can discover by getting curious about your comparison triggers + some practical tips to help loosen its grip when you’re in the thick of it
- [32:04] Inspiration versus comparison and how to Rock Your Goals your way (rather than trying to capture the magic of someone else’s Insta-perfect life or biz)
- [34:35] Stuck in the trap of reaching for the next rung on the corporate ladder (even though it’s not what you really want)? You’re not alone. Bec shares her experience of life in the public service + we talk about what career fulfilment has to do with pie
- [40:11] Dreading going to work or forgotten what fulfilment feels like? Bec shares a simple technique to help you turn up the volume on the good vibes and start living your ideal day – every day
- [45:10] The beauty of baby steps, quick wins and creating momentum
- [49:08] The courage to try things, permission to play and why it’s totally ok to let go of what’s not lighting you up
- [51:51] Wondering “who am I to do this?” Scared someone’s going to figure out that you don’t know what you’re doing? You’re not alone. Impostor syndrome is an indiscriminate beast and Bec shares her personal story + some practical tips to reduce its impact on your goal getting
- [1:00:40] How to pimp your evening routine, reduce the power of impostor syndrome and start to feel awesome about yourself
- [1:03:06] The gift of curiosity, starting small and getting under the surface of things
- [1:08:15] How to connect with Bec
Quotes From The Episode
Having a day job while you build a business doesn’t make you a failure.Bec McFarland
“Don’t be afraid to try different things in order to find what you love.”
“What does your ideal day look like?”
“What other people think of your choices is none of your business.”
Find the joy in what you do.Bec McFarland
Journaling Prompts To Ponder
Are you feeling completely fulfilled at the moment? If not, what would your ideal day look like?
How far away is this ideal day from what your day looks like now? How can you start to move towards your ideal day now?
What are the parts of your job or biz that you enjoy, that you’re good at?
What are the things you enjoy doing that you need development in?
What are the things you’re good at but don’t enjoy?
Where are the quick wins that can move you forward fast?
Resources We Mention
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
Katherine McKenzie Smith
Motivated Skills Card Sort by Dick Knowdell
Dr Libby Weaver
Life Coach School Podcast by Brooke Castillo
Lauren Aletta from Inner Hue
Join The Conversation
What’s one way your current job helps you feel fulfilled or live your dreams? Share in the comments, we’d love to hear from you.
P.S. If you enjoyed this episode, wrap your ears around episode 63 where Jenna and Ash from Eff Perfect share how to ditch perfectionism and feel great about yourself.
+ Virtual high fives to Zhanic whose awesome tune “Lift Me Up” is the intro & outro music for the Rock Your Goals Podcast. It puts a smile on my dial every time I hear it and I hope it gets you grooving in your chair too.