Today I’m talking with the inspiring and tenacious Bree Hogan from Starbrite Warrior.
Bree is an essential oils educator and resilience + health coach who empowers women to be proactive with their health so they can thrive and shine.
Bree came to health coaching through her own health crisis when, at age 24, she was struck down by Guillain-Barre Syndrome. In the space of just 3 days she went from healthy and active to full body paralysis and the brink of death.
What followed was a combination of wheelchairs, walking sticks, pain meds, procedures, chronic pain and learning to walk, talk and function all over again.
Not only did Bree not let her condition define her, she reclaimed her health, and her life, and built a successful business helping women around the globe take radical responsibility for their health and wellbeing.
In this episode Bree and I explore everything from self-care, setting boundaries and looking after yourself while you grow your business, to why your niche isn’t the be-all-end-all of your biz and how tapping deep into your why can help you keep going when the going gets tough.
Listen To The Episode
Language note: this episode is explicit and contains light swearing/cursing.
Or listen on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeartRADIO
Kindness makes the world go round, so if listening to Rock Your Goals has made your ears happy, I’d be so grateful if you’d consider taking approximately one-tenth of the time it takes to drink your morning latte (or lemon water) to leave a short review. Bonus brownie points for saying nice things! It’s easy peasy, promise: all you need to do is type a sentence or two on your favourite podcast player (and sit back to soak up the good vibes I’ll be sending your way as a thank you).
- Bree shares how her auto-immune disorder completely paralysed her, nearly claimed her life and how she’s not just surviving, but thriving
- How to own your story, rather than being defined by it
- How to keep going (gently and with intention) when the going gets tough
- Why pretty much everything takes longer than you expect and why that’s totally ok
- How to stop fighting the ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda’ war (aka how to have a life while you build a business)
- Been setting self-imposed deadlines that make your head spin? We talk about how to lighten up and be kind to yourself
- Repeat after me – I do not have to sacrifice my health, self and sanity to build a business (if you have been – listen to this bit and consider this your permission slip to relax + rest)
- Self care that’s simple and and totally doesn’t suck
- Finding the sweet spot between maintaining momentum and lovingly managing your energy
- Why taking time off is like a magic pill for your sanity, creativity and the sustainability of your biz
- We talk about the biggest untapped resource in your business (hint: it’s YOU!)
- How to start your biz without dropping a tonne of cash (plus we share some home truths about how much we’ve spent versus earned so far)
- Want flexibility AND freedom? (Yep, you CAN have both!). We share how crafting a plan can help you beat procrastination
Quotes From The Episode
The secret to getting ahead is getting started.Marie Forleo
“Insight without action is worthless.” Marie Forleo
Resources We Mention
Bree’s amazing Elephant Journal Article – “Be Less Weird“
Read more about the 10,000 hours concept in Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
For apps, tips & tricks to stay focused, track your time and press pause on social media – check out this great article by Jocelyn Glei from 99u or listen to this episode of the podcast
Join The Conversation
What’s in your self-care tool kit? Let us know in the comments, we’d love to hear from you.
P.S. If you enjoyed this episode, you might enjoy hearing from Kylie Aloi about thriving with anxiety.
+ Loving shout out to Ane Novak who created the wonderful tune “Happy Day” (the awesome intro & outro music to Rock Your Goals the podcast) which gets me grooving in my seat every time I hear it.